• Accomplished
  • Aggravated
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Anxious
  • Apathetic
  • Artistic
  • Awake
  • Bitchy
  • Blah
  • Blank
  • Bored
  • Bouncy
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Cheerful
  • Chipper
  • Cold
  • Complacent
  • Confused
  • Contemplative
  • Content
  • Cranky
  • Crappy
  • Crazy
  • Creative
  • Crushed
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Depressed
  • Determined
  • Devious
  • Dirty
  • Disappointed
  • Discontent
  • Disgusted
  • Distressed
  • Ditzy
  • Dorky
  • Drained
  • Drunk
  • Ecstatic
  • Embarrassed
  • Energetic
  • Enraged
  • Enthralled
  • Envious
  • Exanimate
  • Excited
  • Exhausted
  • Flirty
  • Frustrated
  • Full
  • Geeky
  • Giddy
  • Giggly
  • Gloomy
  • Good
  • Grateful
  • Groggy
  • Grumpy
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • High
  • Hopeful
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungry
  • Hyper
  • Impressed
  • Indescribable
  • Indifferent
  • Infuriated
  • Intimidated
  • Irate
  • Irritated
  • Jealous
  • Jubilant
  • Lazy
  • Lethargic
  • Listless
  • Lonely
  • Loved
  • Melancholy
  • Mellow
  • Mischievous
  • Moody
  • Morose
  • Naughty
  • Nauseated
  • Nerdy
  • Nervous
  • Nostalgic
  • Numb
  • Okay
  • Optimistic
  • Pakistan
  • Peaceful
  • Pensive
  • Pessimistic
  • Pissedoff
  • Pleased
  • Predatory
  • Productive
  • Quixotic
  • Recumbent
  • Refreshed
  • Rejected
  • Rejuvenated
  • Relaxed
  • Relieved
  • Restless
  • Rushed
  • Sad
  • Satisfied
  • Scared
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Sleepy
  • Sore
  • Stressed
  • Surprised
  • Sympathetic
  • Thankful
  • Thirsty
  • Thoughtful
  • Tired
  • Touched
  • Uncomfortable
  • Weird
  • Working
  • Worried
  • User Tag List

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 18 of 26
    1. #1
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,973
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Whats the increase in salary expected when you move companies? 5K ? 10? more?

    2. #2
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      njgal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17, 2008
      Posts
      6,212
      Blogs
      504
      Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      depends on the role you are moving into?
      A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

    3. #3
      30K Billionaire
      ----
       

      TeenDabbyWala's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10, 2004
      Location
      TEJAS
      Posts
      2,466
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Questions like these are highly dependent on country, industry and experience. 5K, 10K what, Yuan?
      Paisa Koi Cheez Nahi Hai - Jay-Z and JD

    4. #4
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,973
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Yeah apologies Teendabaywala , I see your point ... Share your experience of the country you live in ...
      What sort of a raise would one expect to get on average in their next move?

      Njgal , the role one moves in will more or less be similar to their previous one , no? in very few cases its the other way round .. so as a candidate looking to move jobs , whats the kind of raise you would expect in your basic salary?

    5. #5
      KKF
      KKF is offline
      Senior Member
      Content
       

      KKF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14, 2009
      Location
      ab DILLI door nahiiN!
      Posts
      52,426
      Blogs
      19
      Mentioned
      72 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      i never changed my job but i get annual increases and i'm happy with that
      MaKhdoom Javed Hashmi kaa siyaasii safar
      BaaGhii----->DaaGhii----->ZaaGhii
      [ZaaGhii = goo-Khor kaalaa kauwaa]


    6. #6
      Rad Drivel
      ----
       

      Lucid Chaotic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 31, 1969
      Location
      Ottawa - Canada
      Posts
      13,364
      Blogs
      25
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I guess you're asking about lateral career moves?

      In such a case, if salary is a differentiating factor, and assuming that I'm more or less satisfied with my current position, then I'd expect at least a 10K (USD/CAD) bump to rationalize uprooting myself from my current position and trying something new. That being said, the lateral move should also bring about a broader work scope and new learning opportunities for me to consider such a transition.
      For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

    7. #7
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,973
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Thanks so much LC , valuable answer there ..

      Anyone else willing to share their thoughts?

    8. #8
      Darbaan
      Annoyed
       

      Mirch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8, 2008
      Location
      Chand meri zameen , Phool meera watan
      Posts
      22,162
      Blogs
      14
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      If you are not moving to a place which has high cost of living and it is a lateral position change then negotiate a raise equivalent to 25 percent of your current salary.

      It can be more if you are moving to a place where you expect higher cost of living.
      Fools never disagree.

    9. #9
      Chat Jeopardy Champion
      ----
       

      Sehrysh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7, 2008
      Posts
      8,075
      Mentioned
      59 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirch View Post
      If you are not moving to a place which has high cost of living and it is a lateral position change then negotiate a raise equivalent to 25 percent of your current salary.

      It can be more if you are moving to a place where you expect higher cost of living.
      25% sounds to be a bit much for a moving to a lateral position where cost of living has NOT gone up.

      So, someone making $100K should ask for $125K for the same position and someone making $60K can ask for a salary of $75K (in absolute terms)? I'm not sure there would be any takers for such a large bump in salary.

      I think if you're underpaid at your current position, you should look for an increase that brings you in line with the industry standards, plus adds a bit more (this is one of the few situations where a 25% may be justifiable).
      A cause may be inconvenient, but it's magnificent. It's like champagne or high heels, and one must be prepared to suffer for it ~ Arnold Bennet

    10. #10
      TLK
      TLK is offline
      The Last Kryptonian
      ----
       

      TLK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2, 2007
      Posts
      50,213
      Blogs
      352
      Mentioned
      86 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
      Whats the increase in salary expected when you move companies? 5K ? 10? more?

      the question should be, what minimum salary increase should be the one that would make you accept a job offer? A new job offer does not automatically guarantee any salary increase, in fact it could be less than what you were making at your current job.

      Like in my case, I was hired in my current company at a contract position. 1 year later, they offered me a full time position and they offered a salary that was 12% less than my contract salary. I accepted the offer as there were more benefits and full time position is more secured than a contract position.
      My father believed that if the world found out who I really was they'd reject me out of fear.

    11. #11
      Darbaan
      Annoyed
       

      Mirch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8, 2008
      Location
      Chand meri zameen , Phool meera watan
      Posts
      22,162
      Blogs
      14
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Sehrysh View Post
      25% sounds to be a bit much for a moving to a lateral position where cost of living has NOT gone up.

      So, someone making $100K should ask for $125K for the same position and someone making $60K can ask for a salary of $75K (in absolute terms)? I'm not sure there would be any takers for such a large bump in salary.

      I think if you're underpaid at your current position, you should look for an increase that brings you in line with the industry standards, plus adds a bit more (this is one of the few situations where a 25% may be justifiable).
      To each their own. For a lateral position change I will not accept less than 25 percent raise even if at my current position I am getting competitive pay. .

      Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
      the question should be, what minimum salary increase should be the one that would make you accept a job offer? A new job offer does not automatically guarantee any salary increase, in fact it could be less than what you were making at your current job.

      Like in my case, I was hired in my current company at a contract position. 1 year later, they offered me a full time position and they offered a salary that was 12% less than my contract salary. I accepted the offer as there were more benefits and full time position is more secured than a contract position.
      Fools never disagree.

    12. #12
      TLK
      TLK is offline
      The Last Kryptonian
      ----
       

      TLK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2, 2007
      Posts
      50,213
      Blogs
      352
      Mentioned
      86 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      There are many factors that come in play when you are offered a job. Companies pay you according to the worth of that job, not according to your worth (at least not for regular jobs). Today if I move back from my current industry to Automotive industry for a similar position, there is no way auto industry is going to pay me the same what my current industry is paying me. The salary would be much less.
      My father believed that if the world found out who I really was they'd reject me out of fear.

    13. #13
      Living In Paradigm..
      ----
       

      firenze's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29, 2008
      Location
      Faisalabad
      Posts
      10,361
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      At my place we have 4% yearly mandatory + 7-10 % performance increase.

      If i have to make a move to new company, i will definitely looking for at least 15 to 25% increase - but i have to relocate to another state then the figure must be at least 40 to 50%.
      I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

    14. #14
      TLK
      TLK is offline
      The Last Kryptonian
      ----
       

      TLK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2, 2007
      Posts
      50,213
      Blogs
      352
      Mentioned
      86 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by firenze View Post
      but i have to relocate to another state then the figure must be at least 40 to 50%

      40-50% ..

      dream on man
      My father believed that if the world found out who I really was they'd reject me out of fear.

    15. #15
      Darbaan
      Annoyed
       

      Mirch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8, 2008
      Location
      Chand meri zameen , Phool meera watan
      Posts
      22,162
      Blogs
      14
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
      There are many factors that come in play when you are offered a job. Companies pay you according to the worth of that job, not according to your worth (at least not for regular jobs). Today if I move back from my current industry to Automotive industry for a similar position, there is no way auto industry is going to pay me the same what my current industry is paying me. The salary would be much less.
      You are right on that one.

      Quote Originally Posted by firenze View Post
      At my place we have 4% yearly mandatory + 7-10 % performance increase.

      If i have to make a move to new company, i will definitely looking for at least 15 to 25% increase - but i have to relocate to another state then the figure must be at least 40 to 50%.
      I second you.
      Fools never disagree.

    16. #16
      Darbaan
      Annoyed
       

      Mirch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8, 2008
      Location
      Chand meri zameen , Phool meera watan
      Posts
      22,162
      Blogs
      14
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
      40-50% ..

      dream on man
      It is still possible in Information Technology. Skilled people are still scarce in some of IT related disciplines.
      Fools never disagree.

    17. #17
      Chat Jeopardy Champion
      ----
       

      Sehrysh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7, 2008
      Posts
      8,075
      Mentioned
      59 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by firenze View Post
      At my place we have 4% yearly mandatory + 7-10 % performance increase.

      If i have to make a move to new company, i will definitely looking for at least 15 to 25 increase. If i have to relocate to another state then the figure will at least 40 to 50%.
      Did you mean annual bonus or annual increase in salary? Because 7-10% in addition to mandatory 4% is pretty generous

      And for someone such as yourself who is already living in a city with a high cost of living, if you CHOSE to move to another state which would likely have lower cost of living (assumes you're not moving to another metropolis), how likely is it they would pay 40% more? Generally the salaries outside of NYC (and other big cities) are 15-20 lower than in NYC. So all said and done, wouldn't your demand of a almost 60% more be ambitious?
      A cause may be inconvenient, but it's magnificent. It's like champagne or high heels, and one must be prepared to suffer for it ~ Arnold Bennet

    18. #18
      TLK
      TLK is offline
      The Last Kryptonian
      ----
       

      TLK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2, 2007
      Posts
      50,213
      Blogs
      352
      Mentioned
      86 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirch View Post
      It is still possible in Information Technology. Skilled people are still scarce in some of IT related disciplines.
      Ok I dont know much about IT so it may be the case.
      My father believed that if the world found out who I really was they'd reject me out of fear.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast