• Accomplished
  • Aggravated
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Anxious
  • Apathetic
  • Artistic
  • Awake
  • Bitchy
  • Blah
  • Blank
  • Bored
  • Bouncy
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Cheerful
  • Chipper
  • Cold
  • Complacent
  • Confused
  • Contemplative
  • Content
  • Cranky
  • Crappy
  • Crazy
  • Creative
  • Crushed
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Depressed
  • Determined
  • Devious
  • Dirty
  • Disappointed
  • Discontent
  • Disgusted
  • Distressed
  • Ditzy
  • Dorky
  • Drained
  • Drunk
  • Ecstatic
  • Embarrassed
  • Energetic
  • Enraged
  • Enthralled
  • Envious
  • Exanimate
  • Excited
  • Exhausted
  • Flirty
  • Frustrated
  • Full
  • Geeky
  • Giddy
  • Giggly
  • Gloomy
  • Good
  • Grateful
  • Groggy
  • Grumpy
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • High
  • Hopeful
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungry
  • Hyper
  • Impressed
  • Indescribable
  • Indifferent
  • Infuriated
  • Intimidated
  • Irate
  • Irritated
  • Jealous
  • Jubilant
  • Lazy
  • Lethargic
  • Listless
  • Lonely
  • Loved
  • Melancholy
  • Mellow
  • Mischievous
  • Moody
  • Morose
  • Naughty
  • Nauseated
  • Nerdy
  • Nervous
  • Nostalgic
  • Numb
  • Okay
  • Optimistic
  • Pakistan
  • Peaceful
  • Pensive
  • Pessimistic
  • Pissedoff
  • Pleased
  • Predatory
  • Productive
  • Quixotic
  • Recumbent
  • Refreshed
  • Rejected
  • Rejuvenated
  • Relaxed
  • Relieved
  • Restless
  • Rushed
  • Sad
  • Satisfied
  • Scared
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Sleepy
  • Sore
  • Stressed
  • Surprised
  • Sympathetic
  • Thankful
  • Thirsty
  • Thoughtful
  • Tired
  • Touched
  • Uncomfortable
  • Weird
  • Working
  • Worried
  • User Tag List

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 19 to 36 of 39
    1. #19
      Haters gonna hate
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Dec 30, 2005
      Location
      Dunya
      Posts
      9,387
      Blogs
      78
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Terrible Guy

      Did you happen to attend Mufti Aasim's masjid? He had given a nice talk about this last Ramadan and on the day of Eid. He said what you posted and that hugging in the masjid is not the right thing to do, we should have respect for the masjid. Sorry can't really summarize his talk, the way he said it was beautifullly put and everyone understood!

    2. #20
      Amatullah
      ----
       

      sa-Nafooz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20, 2009
      Posts
      4,754
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by funguy View Post
      I don't care if you hug or not BUT please make up your mind as ONE ummah whether we hug once or do the three followed with a handshake? It gets so effing confusing. Like I was guessing all day whether this guy whom I am about to hug, a one hugger, two or three hugger and whether he would extend an ending handshake. I got to the point where I would grab hold of the shoulders and force the second and third hug and then forceully grab the hand and shake.
      i know it gets awfully disappointing and sometimes just messes up my mood

      but alhamdulillah the majority here have made up their minds abt that
      arabs and others with mixed backgrounds hug thrice while most asians (ie pakis and indies) hug twice

    3. #21
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      Naabigh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2, 2009
      Location
      Oak tree
      Posts
      4,873
      Blogs
      12
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Hmm

      Rasm-e-duniya be hai , Moqa bi hai , DasToor bhi

    4. #22
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      Rainbow09's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2, 2009
      Posts
      825
      Blogs
      2
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by funguy View Post
      I don't care if you hug or not BUT please make up your mind as ONE ummah whether we hug once or do the three followed with a handshake? It gets so effing confusing. Like I was guessing all day whether this guy whom I am about to hug, a one hugger, two or three hugger and whether he would extend an ending handshake. I got to the point where I would grab hold of the shoulders and force the second and third hug and then forceully grab the hand and shake.

    5. #23
      Moderator Science & I.T
      Content
       

      Cheegum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2, 2002
      Location
      Mississauga
      Posts
      12,476
      Blogs
      429
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      11 Thread(s)
      diwana: I haven't seen that here with ABCD's and CBCD's but i imagine the few who do refrain from hugging is probably because they don't want to be come across as homosexuals when seen by locals.

      Fg: You take charge and dictate to those one and two huggers that its supposed to be three hugs. After the first hug if they seem like they are pulling back, pull them back towards youself and proceed giving the remaining two hugs saying: Eid kay din haiy yaar teen baar galay lagtay hain.
      Have an app you liked and would like to tell people about?

      Do an App of the week review in C&IT!

    6. #24
      Senior Member
      Predatory
       

      zobia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12, 2006
      Posts
      21,071
      Blogs
      23
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by diwana View Post
      Why some people try to avoid it and just resort to shake hands????
      you dont know the answer cuz u r a PBCD
      "There are two rules for ultimate success in life: #1. Never tell everything you know." ;)

    7. #25
      Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Jul 17, 2005
      Posts
      495
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by cricketplaya View Post
      @Terrible Guy

      Did you happen to attend Mufti Aasim's masjid? He had given a nice talk about this last Ramadan and on the day of Eid. He said what you posted and that hugging in the masjid is not the right thing to do, we should have respect for the masjid. Sorry can't really summarize his talk, the way he said it was beautifullly put and everyone understood!
      Not this time. This talk was given in Makkah masjid.

    8. #26
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      dildirani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22, 2006
      Location
      Yorkshire, UK
      Posts
      4,393
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Hugging is fine.

      My cousin's have invented this manoveure where when they see an aunty who wants to give them pyar(on the head), they stand still, upright and don't bow down; so that their hair does not get messed up and their head is not massaged. The aunties end up patting them on the back.

      Some people genuinely do not like hugging. One of my closest friends who I have know for years, hates being hugged and refuses to be hugged. Those that know her will not do it. It is all about what one is comfortable with and people should respect that.

    9. #27
      Moderator Relationships, Fashion & Beauty, Wedding, Household & Cuisine
      Anxious
       

      Reha's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      17,175
      Blogs
      399
      Mentioned
      55 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I think hugging is a good thing and we shouldnt find faults in it.

      No, it may not be Sunnah but not everything we do has to be from Sunnah as long as it isnt Haram. If you are greeting someone on Eid day in your own 3-hug way, what is the harm in that? Some people will go so far as to call it Bidat and wrong. Its not wrong.
      Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

    10. #28
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Terrible Guy View Post
      \

      This imam is more educated in his field than most if not all people here. I would take his advice on these matters more readily from anybody here. It is a fact that many people do it (or used to) because they think it's a sunnah. Whether or not you want everything explained in terms of sunnah, religion etc. is not the point. I know that I used to do it also under that same impression. The same is the case with many others. Seeing that many people also gave up the practice after the same talk shows that they used to do it under the same impression. So there is nothing wrong with clearing that up among the masses. What I didn't mention in my previous post was that about the hugging, he said that he's not against it, but nobody should do it considering it to be a sunnah.
      My friend I did not question this Aalim's knowledge about religion.

      I said he needs to learn a few things about human interaction.

      I also did not emphasize on sunnah or not sunnah. Religious or not religious.

      Next time you see that Imam ask him why he is using a motor vehicle for transport? It's not a sunnah in literal sense . The prophet SAW never did it nor he asked people to go and ride in a car.

      You are using internet my friend. Its not a sunnah either... :-)

      There are some rules in the religion as I understand.

      "If it is not explicitly mentioned to be haram or prohibited then (with some conditions of not breaking other religious rules) any act is permissible in Islam."

      Hope you got the message.

      It is not a sin or bad thing for people to embrace each other in happiness.
      Last edited by diwana; Sep 22nd, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    11. #29
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by funguy View Post
      I don't care if you hug or not BUT please make up your mind as ONE ummah whether we hug once or do the three followed with a handshake? It gets so effing confusing. Like I was guessing all day whether this guy whom I am about to hug, a one hugger, two or three hugger and whether he would extend an ending handshake. I got to the point where I would grab hold of the shoulders and force the second and third hug and then forceully grab the hand and shake.
      You are absolutely right.

      It does become confusing and embarrassing for some who want to go for three hugs and others want to stop after the first.

      But I think you just go ahead and ask or tell the person what is YOUR intention and either smile or laugh while telling.

      If this person is a close friend tell this person and if not so close friend, then ask.

      Problem will not be so big then.
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    12. #30
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by cricketplaya View Post
      @Terrible Guy

      Did you happen to attend Mufti Aasim's masjid? He had given a nice talk about this last Ramadan and on the day of Eid. He said what you posted and that hugging in the masjid is not the right thing to do, we should have respect for the masjid. Sorry can't really summarize his talk, the way he said it was beautifullly put and everyone understood!
      Please try to write his arguments so we can all understand.

      What is this got to do with respect or disrespect of Masjid?

      Its such a beautiful view when people smile, greet and hug each others.
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    13. #31
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dildirani View Post
      Hugging is fine.

      My cousin's have invented this manoveure where when they see an aunty who wants to give them pyar(on the head), they stand still, upright and don't bow down; so that their hair does not get messed up and their head is not massaged. The aunties end up patting them on the back.

      Some people genuinely do not like hugging. One of my closest friends who I have know for years, hates being hugged and refuses to be hugged. Those that know her will not do it. It is all about what one is comfortable with and people should respect that.
      Disrespectful/ too uptight cousins? :-) What's wrong with getting a sincere loving kiss from older person on forehead or massaged on head?

      Off course if someone is not really comfortable, someone should not force it.


      I say, those who do not like having a friendly hug must not wearing a deodorant...LOL
      Last edited by diwana; Sep 22nd, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    14. #32
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by zobia View Post
      you dont know the answer cuz u r a PBCD
      lol.. I think I do know the answer but not sure or not wanting to accept.

      Anyhow, did you mean,

      Perfectly Born Capable Desi/Dude?

      Or

      Pakistani Born Creative Desi/Dude? ;-)
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    15. #33
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cheegum View Post
      diwana: I haven't seen that here with ABCD's and CBCD's but i imagine the few who do refrain from hugging is probably because they don't want to be come across as homosexuals when seen by locals.
      This homophobia has no boundaries. It should stay in limit I guess.

      It is so funny that the same culture, which expects all others to accept real homosexual acts frowns over two same sex individuals simply hugging each others. LOL

      Quote Originally Posted by Cheegum View Post
      Fg: You take charge and dictate to those one and two huggers that its supposed to be three hugs. After the first hug if they seem like they are pulling back, pull them back towards youself and proceed giving the remaining two hugs saying: Eid kay din haiy yaar teen baar galay lagtay hain.
      Yes. Absolutely.....!!!!
      Last edited by diwana; Sep 22nd, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    16. #34
      Kisi Ka..
      ----
       

      diwana's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2008
      Location
      Best Place on Earth
      Posts
      13,462
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Naabigh View Post
      Hmm

      Rasm-e-duniya be hai , Moqa bi hai , DasToor bhi
      You know this was sung with man and woman in there. Husband and Wife should do that..in privacy.... ;-)


      Last edited by diwana; Sep 22nd, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
      Impress me..with your intelligence and wit. :-)

    17. #35
      Haters gonna hate
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Dec 30, 2005
      Location
      Dunya
      Posts
      9,387
      Blogs
      78
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      diwana, I really can't put the talk into my own words, next time I'll record insh'Allah..

      and as for the Aalim, I don't think he meant to say hugging is bad or one should not meet n smile at another brother/sister.. he just clarified that some people have the intention that what they're doing is sunnah therefore getting more reward, it was his job as an aalim to convey the right message. that's all he did. he did not order anyone NOT to hug or NOT to greet..etc

      again, i am missing more points to this but it's really a non-issue.
      maybe TG can add to it.


    18. #36
      Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Jul 17, 2005
      Posts
      495
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by diwana View Post
      My friend I did not question this Aalim's knowledge about religion.

      I said he needs to learn a few things about human interaction.

      I also did not emphasize on sunnah or not sunnah. Religious or not religious.

      Next time you see that Imam ask him why he is using a motor vehicle for transport? It's not a sunnah in literal sense . The prophet SAW never did it nor he asked people to go and ride in a car.

      You are using internet my friend. Its not a sunnah either... :-)

      There are some rules in the religion as I understand.

      "If it is not explicitly mentioned to be haram or prohibited then (with some conditions of not breaking other religious rules) any act is permissible in Islam."

      Hope you got the message.

      It is not a sin or bad thing for people to embrace each other in happiness.
      Brother, you asked why people don't do it. So I just brought up one of the reasons that I've observed. At one time, people used to do it because they believed it was sunnah. Recently the awareness that it's not has been increasing. This was further proven when I saw that the majority of people didn't do the 3 hug greeting after being told that it was neither sunnah nor mustahab.

      The imam was not at fault at all for clarifying the position of the act to the congregation, who were clearly confused about the matter. The imam didn't tell anyone not to do it, however he clarified the fact that it doesn't hold the position people believed it did.

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast