• Accomplished
  • Aggravated
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Anxious
  • Apathetic
  • Artistic
  • Awake
  • Bitchy
  • Blah
  • Blank
  • Bored
  • Bouncy
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Cheerful
  • Chipper
  • Cold
  • Complacent
  • Confused
  • Contemplative
  • Content
  • Cranky
  • Crappy
  • Crazy
  • Creative
  • Crushed
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Depressed
  • Determined
  • Devious
  • Dirty
  • Disappointed
  • Discontent
  • Disgusted
  • Distressed
  • Ditzy
  • Dorky
  • Drained
  • Drunk
  • Ecstatic
  • Embarrassed
  • Energetic
  • Enraged
  • Enthralled
  • Envious
  • Exanimate
  • Excited
  • Exhausted
  • Flirty
  • Frustrated
  • Full
  • Geeky
  • Giddy
  • Giggly
  • Gloomy
  • Good
  • Grateful
  • Groggy
  • Grumpy
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • High
  • Hopeful
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungry
  • Hyper
  • Impressed
  • Indescribable
  • Indifferent
  • Infuriated
  • Intimidated
  • Irate
  • Irritated
  • Jealous
  • Jubilant
  • Lazy
  • Lethargic
  • Listless
  • Lonely
  • Loved
  • Melancholy
  • Mellow
  • Mischievous
  • Moody
  • Morose
  • Naughty
  • Nauseated
  • Nerdy
  • Nervous
  • Nostalgic
  • Numb
  • Okay
  • Optimistic
  • Pakistan
  • Peaceful
  • Pensive
  • Pessimistic
  • Pissedoff
  • Pleased
  • Predatory
  • Productive
  • Quixotic
  • Recumbent
  • Refreshed
  • Rejected
  • Rejuvenated
  • Relaxed
  • Relieved
  • Restless
  • Rushed
  • Sad
  • Satisfied
  • Scared
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Sleepy
  • Sore
  • Stressed
  • Surprised
  • Sympathetic
  • Thankful
  • Thirsty
  • Thoughtful
  • Tired
  • Touched
  • Uncomfortable
  • Weird
  • Working
  • Worried
  • User Tag List

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 18 of 36
    1. #1
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,979
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Why is generalization of people, countries, cultures, religion etc considered so bad and a no go zone?

      I mean, if you think about it logically, how do you judge anything? you judge about some numbers of anything/anyone and then make up your judgement about the whole of the thing. Perhaps because its representing a significant trait that cannot be classed as minority , hence why its given a label.

      For example, you buy a box of mangoes from store A. 10 out of 40 come out rotten. Next you buy a box from a known retailer next to your home and 4 out of 40 come out rotten, if this gets repeated a few times , you will end up generalizing that the store A doesnt sell nice mangoes !

      Generalization is part of our lives , why dont we acknowledge it as positive criticism by realizing yes a problem exists we need to find a solution rather then kicking anyone generalizing and then try to shove the problem under the carpet with suggestions like "only the minority do this" ?
      The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

    2. #2
      Channel Manager Hangout
      High
       

      khattichic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16, 2011
      Location
      neither here, nor there...
      Posts
      12,686
      Blogs
      141
      Mentioned
      144 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Generalizations about fruit, cars, other inanimate objects or the weather is not the same thing as generalizing about living, breathing people who feel and understand. Most generalizations about cultures, religions and countries come about in a derogatory nature and are not positive criticism.

      For example, the generalization in the West that Islam is an terrorist religion....how can that be taken as a positive criticism?

      I am firmly against painting everything with one wide, broad stroke and slapping labels on people. There are ways to work towards a solution without generalizing and pigeon holing an entire race, gender, country or religion into one pile
      Have you visited Cafe lately?!?Click to visit Cafe

      Feeling down? Have a laugh at Humor:Click to visit Humor
      

      Have a listen:Click to visit Voice Gallery


      


      

    3. #3
      Banned
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Dec 10, 2011
      Location
      Trento, Italy
      Posts
      2,366
      Blogs
      6
      Mentioned
      27 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
      Why is generalization of people, countries, cultures, religion etc considered so bad and a no go zone?

      I mean, if you think about it logically, how do you judge anything? you judge about some numbers of anything/anyone and then make up your judgement about the whole of the thing. Perhaps because its representing a significant trait that cannot be classed as minority , hence why its given a label.

      For example, you buy a box of mangoes from store A. 10 out of 40 come out rotten. Next you buy a box from a known retailer next to your home and 4 out of 40 come out rotten, if this gets repeated a few times , you will end up generalizing that the store A doesnt sell nice mangoes !

      Generalization is part of our lives , why dont we acknowledge it as positive criticism by realizing yes a problem exists we need to find a solution rather then kicking anyone generalizing and then try to shove the problem under the carpet with suggestions like "only the minority do this" ?
      That is a bad example that you used. And like khattichic mentioned, you cannot compare mangoes with people, countries and religions.

      By making negative generalizations you do unjust to the majority of the people belonging to that particular group. And yes, the negative generalizations are always due to a minority that does not represent the whole group.

      Yes making generalizations is a part of our lives, but that is because as humans we are imperfect and have misconceptions and prejudgements about others, and not because the generalization are truth/right. So making generalizations are the result of our own wrong perceptions.

      Problems exist everywhere, troublemakers are evrywhere. You acknowledge the problem by it's core and by tackling the troublemakers. Not by throwing everyone into the same pot.
      Moodie Foodie and sadzzz like this.

    4. #4
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,979
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by khattichic View Post
      Generalizations about fruit, cars, other inanimate objects or the weather is not the same thing as generalizing about living, breathing people who feel and understand. Most generalizations about cultures, religions and countries come about in a derogatory nature and are not positive criticism.

      For example, the generalization in the West that Islam is an terrorist religion....how can that be taken as a positive criticism?

      I am firmly against painting everything with one wide, broad stroke and slapping labels on people. There are ways to work towards a solution without generalizing and pigeon holing an entire race, gender, country or religion into one pile

      Generalization when done positively is considered ok , but when done on certain things is considered not ok? for example for medical treatments , when experiments are being conducted they are done on a definitive number of subjects, say 10,000 or 20,000 subjects and based on its success with those , it is then rolled out on a generic scale .. Isnt that generalization as well? how do they know, what worked on 7000 people will work on anyone or everyone out there ?

      We all have individual traits , but many of those traits are influenced by the culture ,religion or environment we live in. Hence , chances are people living in a same place may have similar traits , good or bad.

      For example, Indians have a really good reputation at being extremely dedicated and hard workers. On the contrary, local arabs in the UAE are notoriously considered lazy workers !

      Iranians are known to have beautiful physical features. Kashmiris are known to have beautiful complexions, Pathans are considered brave warriors and this is seen as a very positive quality in times of war in the region. Similarly, Jews are considered to have a very strong business sense.

      Can you deny that there are positive generalizations as well? if we accept those, we should accept that negative generalizations are pretty ok too. Now regards Islam being seen as a terrorist religion, can we really blame the west for having this view? can we deny that we are right now under siege by an enemy that we, as muslims, dont know how to fight? can we deny that we muslims arent doing enough and are very susceptible to falling prey to forces who are misusing our religion to this extent?

      Telling them ,not to generalize is not really the answer anymore. its fairly childish in my opinion to not accept that we have a problem ,a huge problem at hand, because a set of traits is now becoming a major representative factor for muslims all over the world.
      The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

    5. #5
      X2
      X2 is offline
      Pir of Dhump
      ----
       

      X2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23, 1998
      Location
      In front of my computer
      Posts
      20,193
      Blogs
      668
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Generalizations have their utility. Personalization is essentially a specific combination of general traits, behaviors, attitudes and motivations. They have limitations but, used properly and in context, while understanding the strengths and weaknesses of these generalizations, they can drive powerful results.

      What are segments and profiles? Whether used by law enforcement or by marketers. It's likely combination of behavior/attitude/motivation. etc that is used to start getting more specific. Level of specific insight into this generalization must vary by the need. Basically the cost/benefit/risk/limitation has to be balanced. Lastly, outliers can not be ignored in critical situations luckily I don't have to worry about that in my work.

      Obviously, a misguided generalization based on incorrect data and analysis done by someone without proper sample and skills will just be very limited, and could backfire massively.

      Who is doing the generalization and how qualified are they, what are these based on, what are the limitations, what is the risk/reward balance with that level of profiling. Answering these will drive the usefulness of a 'generalization' ...
      Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

    6. #6
      Banned
      Impressed
       

      pwner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4, 2014
      Posts
      837
      Blogs
      23
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Its ok if you are willing to take it too.

    7. #7
      Moderator Fashion & Beauty, Health, Parenting
      ----
       

      Moodie Foodie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31, 2002
      Location
      Beneath the stars
      Posts
      4,511
      Blogs
      259
      Mentioned
      21 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      The buzurg of our nations have so deeply rooted their generalizations in the generations that followed that we are still trying to rid of ourselves of silly stereotypes. Your own experience should define your opinion about something an opinion of another. Agree with khatoo and lepaki and my people are still breaking down x2's response and pwner is right.. don't dish it if you can't take it. I generally agree with everything said
      sadzzz likes this.
      Slightly Crazy and Plenty Lazy

    8. #8
      Banned
      ----
       

      CoughCough's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13, 2011
      Location
      Narnia
      Posts
      1,238
      Mentioned
      8 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by pwner:9925123
      Its ok if you are willing to take it too.
      This right here.

      The simple fact of the matter is, CB, youre not comparing apples with apples here.

      The example youve used of mangoes, makes a generalisation based off a statistical observation; the number of bad mangoes.
      For the sake of the observation youve kept your variables constant (the fruit, the number of bad mangoes, the shop), which makes your generalisation about the shop a valid one because its based on data. Also the variables are very easy to identify.


      Humans are a lot more complicated than mangoes. You have no concrete data on people here to be able to make a good generalisation.
      How do you organise a space party? You planet.

    9. #9
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,979
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Ok , so explain to me why then , are , women considered bad drivers when in essence insurance companies accept that most accidents are caused by men? Check this interesting link Car Insurance for Women - MoneySupermarket.com

      Also please explain to me , if its a person's personal experience that guides their thoughts towards generalizing then why are they wrong? for example, a manager thinks every time they hired an xyz nationality they saw very positive traits and every time they hired abc nationality they saw negative traits and then make up their mind to hire only xyz nationality. In essence he isnt doing anything wrong then?

      Same as apples cant be compared to humans logic, every muslim cant be tagged a terrorist around the world because it is a very serious claim. hence why we try and speak out against these elements. But when it comes to the generic traits of a nation or people, what is the harm in it? for example, an ongoing trend I saw in British candidates while interviewing them, would ask for higher end salaries with not as much dedication to perform under high pressure , but if I put an Indian candidate in his place they ask for lower salaries plus work harder under pressure.

      Arent these the generic traits that make make them part of their respective nations?

      Or another example: Pakistani born and raised men are very culture driven! ABCD /BBCD girls are extremely self confident etc, Irish people have only one driving force : Alcohol ! French are all about beauty and sex ! and so on and on ...
      The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

    10. #10
      Banned
      ----
       

      CoughCough's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13, 2011
      Location
      Narnia
      Posts
      1,238
      Mentioned
      8 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      So you wont mind if I make negative generalisations about you?
      How do you organise a space party? You planet.

    11. #11
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,979
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by CoughCough View Post
      So you wont mind if I make negative generalisations about you?
      If you are asking me, then I would say no. Because when you are generalizing , you are not talking about an individual, but a whole section of a society. When you criticize me directly, then I might either take offence or try and absorb the criticism in a positive manner.

      For example, at work, I heard this quite a lot women managers are terrible at controlling a male team , followed with non serious attitude by some of the team fellows . I dont think I took it personally, I just continued in making myself better at management skills .

      Similarly, I hear this all the time "women drivers are pathetic " do I take offence? no, instead I just focus on my driving skills.

      Another one I get a lot is " BBCD typical behaviour" nope not offensive to me. I am who I am and these cannot hurt me coz its not directed directly at me.
      The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

    12. #12
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      kakaballi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14, 2009
      Posts
      9,510
      Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Your sample size must be large enough to generalize. Otherwise we see gems like these:

      I saw an angry Pakistani man. Why are Pakistanis so angry?

    13. #13
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Aug 22, 2010
      Posts
      5,420
      Mentioned
      95 Post(s)
      Tagged
      13 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
      Generalization when done positively is considered ok , but when done on certain things is considered not ok? for example for medical treatments , when experiments are being conducted they are done on a definitive number of subjects, say 10,000 or 20,000 subjects and based on its success with those , it is then rolled out on a generic scale .. Isnt that generalization as well? how do they know, what worked on 7000 people will work on anyone or everyone out there ?

      We all have individual traits , but many of those traits are influenced by the culture ,religion or environment we live in. Hence , chances are people living in a same place may have similar traits , good or bad.

      For example, Indians have a really good reputation at being extremely dedicated and hard workers. On the contrary, local arabs in the UAE are notoriously considered lazy workers !

      Iranians are known to have beautiful physical features. Kashmiris are known to have beautiful complexions, Pathans are considered brave warriors and this is seen as a very positive quality in times of war in the region. Similarly, Jews are considered to have a very strong business sense.

      Can you deny that there are positive generalizations as well? if we accept those, we should accept that negative generalizations are pretty ok too. Now regards Islam being seen as a terrorist religion, can we really blame the west for having this view? can we deny that we are right now under siege by an enemy that we, as muslims, dont know how to fight? can we deny that we muslims arent doing enough and are very susceptible to falling prey to forces who are misusing our religion to this extent?

      Telling them ,not to generalize is not really the answer anymore. its fairly childish in my opinion to not accept that we have a problem ,a huge problem at hand, because a set of traits is now becoming a major representative factor for muslims all over the world.
      Just because you personally don't find generalisation offensive, doesn't make them acceptable, far from it. Whether you want to admit it or not, broad generalisation in one way or another do end up effecting an individual (or plenty of individuals), if your boss has this generalised view that all Muslims are extremists, all Pakistanis are fraud, and all women are lazy and all Northerners are uneducated, you may never be considered for promotion or simple contract extention.

      Funny you say that negetive generalisation against woman don't bother you, if it wasn't for women fighting against those generalisation hundred and so years ago (and still counting), there would be no 'management' roles for women to even begin with. The irony in your post is quite sad.
      Last edited by Jolie; Feb 19th, 2014 at 06:16 AM.
      Ethan Hunt likes this.

    14. #14
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,979
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Jolie, for once , it would be nice to read your post without so much negativity dripping out of it! you know I agree with some of your points , its not a crime to share a thought. To ask others around what they think and why. You need to step back a little before you end up making sour judgement about someone's opinion. Thank you.


      Now, regards the topic, yes I agree , a generalization might end up on a larger scale and eventually may come down to hurting people on an individual level. I completely take that point on board.

      But there is this thought that constantly clashes with this whole generalization idea. We cant deny that we as people living in certain areas, working in certain fields, eventually do end up with similar traits.

      I think we confuse making a prejudiced statement with generalization. In a prejudiced statement we say, ALL blondes are xyz ... while we all know that being blonde has nothing to do with a trait!

      Where as a generalization tends to happen when a certain behaviour is occurring more often then can be ignored. For example, Women tend to drive slower then men or desi men are extremely culture driven etc etc ..

      What say?
      The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

    15. #15
      Channel Manager Hangout
      High
       

      khattichic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16, 2011
      Location
      neither here, nor there...
      Posts
      12,686
      Blogs
      141
      Mentioned
      144 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      CB, I think you're oversimplifying. Of the examples you're giving, these are all stereotypes based on the assertion that certain groups of people are inherently prone to certain behaviors....does science back of these assertions? I think not.

      X2's post very aptly explained, from a marketing perspective, where generalizations can be useful...when you're trying to pinpoint a certain target audience to gather information for a specific project or task.


      What you are describing over and over again are stereotypes that frankly are extremely apathetic. You're not taking into account that individuals are responsible for their own actions, not an entire group, race, culture, creed. I'm not trying to rehash old wounds, but you made some very passionate and polarizing statements about Pakistanis and Pakistan itself as a country which were straight up stereotypes. It may not hurt you or offend you, when someone does the same about "bbcd's", but that doesn't mean that someone else can't or won't take offense to those "generalizations". A little empathy and softness goes a long way.

      I found this definition online about the difference between stereotypes and generalizations and I think it very aptly describes what I feel is flawed with your argument:

      Stereotypes are qualities assigned to groups of people related to their race, nationality and sexual orientation, to name a few. Because they generalize groups of people in manners that lead to discrimination and ignore the diversity within groups, stereotypes should be avoided. While all stereotypes are generalizations, not all generalizations are stereotypes. Stereotypes are oversimplifications of people groups widely circulated in certain societies
      Have you visited Cafe lately?!?Click to visit Cafe

      Feeling down? Have a laugh at Humor:Click to visit Humor
      

      Have a listen:Click to visit Voice Gallery


      


      

    16. #16
      World Cup Fantasy Game Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Nov 17, 2010
      Posts
      17,575
      Mentioned
      70 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by kakaballi View Post

      Why are Pakistanis so angry?
      Doesn't this belong in the Why thread? Off topic please.
      FLAT TRACK BULLIES

    17. #17
      Moderator Business & Careers, Household Affairs & Cuisine, Health & Fitness
      Anxious
       

      Chicken Biryani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3, 2010
      Posts
      6,979
      Blogs
      4
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by khattichic View Post
      CB, I think you're oversimplifying. Of the examples you're giving, these are all stereotypes based on the assertion that certain groups of people are inherently prone to certain behaviors....does science back of these assertions? I think not.

      X2's post very aptly explained, from a marketing perspective, where generalizations can be useful...when you're trying to pinpoint a certain target audience to gather information for a specific project or task.


      What you are describing over and over again are stereotypes that frankly are extremely apathetic. You're not taking into account that individuals are responsible for their own actions, not an entire group, race, culture, creed. I'm not trying to rehash old wounds, but you made some very passionate and polarizing statements about Pakistanis and Pakistan itself as a country which were straight up stereotypes. It may not hurt you or offend you, when someone does the same about "bbcd's", but that doesn't mean that someone else can't or won't take offense to those "generalizations". A little empathy and softness goes a long way.

      I found this definition online about the difference between stereotypes and generalizations and I think it very aptly describes what I feel is flawed with your argument:
      KC, while I see your point very valid in differentiating stereotyping and generalization , I am seriously disappointed that a person of your stature would bring on an attack on an opinion I shared else where. you may get offended by this, but the fact remains, no one is here to judge the other based on their opinion. right or wrong, we are not the courts here. you find a flaw with my argument , feel free to show me a stronger argument, but attacking in this manner is not tolerable , least to say your own words, a little empathy and softness does go a long way.


      Now coming back to the topic, lets say I am confusing stereotyping with generalization. What kind of generalization is acceptable? at the end of the day all of us are guilty of this in one way or the other. For example, many of us do associate rap with blacks. its not a bad thing is it? The reason why I started this thread is because I came across this article and while reading it , I did sort of get caught up in a deeper think .
      http://competeoutsidethebox.com/wp-c...rent%20Bad.pdf
      The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

    18. #18
      Banned
      Cynical
       

      Scherbatsky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 7, 2013
      Posts
      559
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
      Ok , so explain to me why then , are , women considered bad drivers when in essence insurance companies accept that most accidents are caused by men? Check this interesting link Car Insurance for Women - MoneySupermarket.com

      Also please explain to me , if its a person's personal experience that guides their thoughts towards generalizing then why are they wrong? for example, a manager thinks every time they hired an xyz nationality they saw very positive traits and every time they hired abc nationality they saw negative traits and then make up their mind to hire only xyz nationality. In essence he isnt doing anything wrong then?

      Same as apples cant be compared to humans logic, every muslim cant be tagged a terrorist around the world because it is a very serious claim. hence why we try and speak out against these elements. But when it comes to the generic traits of a nation or people, what is the harm in it? for example, an ongoing trend I saw in British candidates while interviewing them, would ask for higher end salaries with not as much dedication to perform under high pressure , but if I put an Indian candidate in his place they ask for lower salaries plus work harder under pressure.

      Arent these the generic traits that make make them part of their respective nations?

      Or another example: Pakistani born and raised men are very culture driven! ABCD /BBCD girls are extremely self confident etc, Irish people have only one driving force : Alcohol ! French are all about beauty and sex ! and so on and on ...
      That would be called being prejudiced or being a corporate opportunist – you exploit those who may exhibit greater need.

      Here is diversity training 101 for you in the spirit of bettering your management skills:

      Reasonable conclusion: Brits speak English more fluently than their Indian counterparts.
      Irrational: This British candidate knows English better than the Indian one.
      Conclusion: Cultures and nations may be categorized under sweeping generalizations but it is extremely unfair and a display of poor lack of judgment to do the same on an individual basis.

      p.s. how do your candidates convince you of their dedication during the hiring process? Or do you hire based on your prejudice and end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy?

      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
      but the fact remains, no one is here to judge the other based on their opinion. right or wrong, we are not the courts here. you find a flaw with my argument , feel free to show me a stronger argument
      Oh, the irony.
      sadzzz likes this.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast