• Accomplished
  • Aggravated
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Anxious
  • Apathetic
  • Artistic
  • Awake
  • Bitchy
  • Blah
  • Blank
  • Bored
  • Bouncy
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Cheerful
  • Chipper
  • Cold
  • Complacent
  • Confused
  • Contemplative
  • Content
  • Cranky
  • Crappy
  • Crazy
  • Creative
  • Crushed
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Depressed
  • Determined
  • Devious
  • Dirty
  • Disappointed
  • Discontent
  • Disgusted
  • Distressed
  • Ditzy
  • Dorky
  • Drained
  • Drunk
  • Ecstatic
  • Embarrassed
  • Energetic
  • Enraged
  • Enthralled
  • Envious
  • Exanimate
  • Excited
  • Exhausted
  • Flirty
  • Frustrated
  • Full
  • Geeky
  • Giddy
  • Giggly
  • Gloomy
  • Good
  • Grateful
  • Groggy
  • Grumpy
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • High
  • Hopeful
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungry
  • Hyper
  • Impressed
  • Indescribable
  • Indifferent
  • Infuriated
  • Intimidated
  • Irate
  • Irritated
  • Jealous
  • Jubilant
  • Lazy
  • Lethargic
  • Listless
  • Lonely
  • Loved
  • Melancholy
  • Mellow
  • Mischievous
  • Moody
  • Morose
  • Naughty
  • Nauseated
  • Nerdy
  • Nervous
  • Nostalgic
  • Numb
  • Okay
  • Optimistic
  • Pakistan
  • Peaceful
  • Pensive
  • Pessimistic
  • Pissedoff
  • Pleased
  • Predatory
  • Productive
  • Quixotic
  • Recumbent
  • Refreshed
  • Rejected
  • Rejuvenated
  • Relaxed
  • Relieved
  • Restless
  • Rushed
  • Sad
  • Satisfied
  • Scared
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Sleepy
  • Sore
  • Stressed
  • Surprised
  • Sympathetic
  • Thankful
  • Thirsty
  • Thoughtful
  • Tired
  • Touched
  • Uncomfortable
  • Weird
  • Working
  • Worried
  • User Tag List

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 18 of 31
    1. #1
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      FrozenFire's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19, 2004
      Location
      Toronto,Canada
      Posts
      4,256
      Blogs
      3
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ok... i was just chatting with my tamil hindu friend (whose a girl )...and she had a display picture on her msn with a lotta people in it.. i first thought that it might be of someone's wedding..... but when i asked.....she told me that its the puberty ceremony for tamil hindu girl... when a girl reaches her puberty time, they do a ceremony... and i was shocked to hear that..

      I then went on searching about it on the net and found this link...
      http://members.ozemail.com.au/~srasi...hindu_girl.pdf ( this is in pdf format ).

      I was just wondering if there's any hindu people (especially tamil ) here who could shed some light on the history of this tradition... as i have never ever heard about this before..
      Thanks in advance..

      PS: Mods, if u feel that this thread is not suppose to be on religion forum , then feel free to move it in Life 1, if its appropriate there...
      Patta patta boota boota haal hamaara jaane hai
      Jaane na jaane gul he na jaane, baagh to saara jaane hai

    2. #2
      The Grim Reaper
      ----
       

      Light Bearer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 12, 2005
      Posts
      4,062
      Blogs
      8
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Interesting.... but why?
      To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it, requires brains.
      - Mary Pettibone Poole

    3. #3
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Is there a benefit in doing all this according to hindu scriptures?

    4. #4
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      ssingh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14, 2005
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,123
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I am not sure about this, but it is just a formal initiation of a girl into the next stage of here life and also to remind her to be chaste untill her marriage. It is also called ritu kala samskara in local language and this is more comman in south india.

    5. #5
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Intersting custom however I feel it is accompanied by a lot of superstition after reading the article i.e. the days and times for the occurance of it.

    6. #6
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      ssingh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14, 2005
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,123
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^ but that is the custom that is going on. some dont agree that it is superstition and whereas some do

    7. #7
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by ssingh
      ^ but that is the custom that is going on. some dont agree that it is superstition and whereas some do
      So how do you prove to them otherwise i.e. that it is superstition.

    8. #8
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      ssingh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14, 2005
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,123
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by USResident
      So how do you prove to them otherwise i.e. that it is superstition.
      i dont want to prove them anything...you mentioned days and time, one of them even predicted my past correctly based on my birth day and time. now what shall i do?. ofcourse, in hinduism, rituals are more, like this one. I didn't find any reference to it in vedas though. but still, my opinion, let them do what they want to do.

    9. #9
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 3, 2005
      Posts
      773
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      i dont think its just a hindu thing...a lot of cultures have coming out parties for 12-14 yr olds....mostl all jews have barmitzvah for their kids
      One day I woke up and found myself famous....

    10. #10
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      FrozenFire's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19, 2004
      Location
      Toronto,Canada
      Posts
      4,256
      Blogs
      3
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^^ u might be right... but as USResident asked... is there any benefit in doing that???
      Patta patta boota boota haal hamaara jaane hai
      Jaane na jaane gul he na jaane, baagh to saara jaane hai

    11. #11
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      Lahore 981's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20, 2005
      Location
      Aap key dil main, Damagh main
      Posts
      2,064
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFire
      ^^ u might be right... but as USResident asked... is there any benefit in doing that???
      It serves the purpose to announce this girl is available to hook up with. Otherwse, logically, there is no reason to announce in this manner who has reached puberty.
      A SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP (ANY), REQUIRES FALLING IN LOVE MANY TIMES WITH THE SAME PERSON

    12. #12
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      lakkis25's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16, 2006
      Location
      bool Gaya
      Posts
      3,713
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFire
      ok... i was just chatting with my tamil hindu friend (whose a girl )...and she had a display picture on her msn with a lotta people in it.. i first thought that it might be of someone's wedding..... but when i asked.....she told me that its the puberty ceremony for tamil hindu girl... when a girl reaches her puberty time, they do a ceremony... and i was shocked to hear that..

      I then went on searching about it on the net and found this link...
      http://members.ozemail.com.au/~srasi...hindu_girl.pdf ( this is in pdf format ).

      I was just wondering if there's any hindu people (especially tamil ) here who could shed some light on the history of this tradition... as i have never ever heard about this before..
      Thanks in advance..

      PS: Mods, if u feel that this thread is not suppose to be on religion forum , then feel free to move it in Life 1, if its appropriate there...

      I'm south Indian but Not from Tamilnadu
      even now a days people do celebrate this types of functions, even you may wonder if i say they spend lakhs of ruppes on this type of functions

      this functions is also done by converted christians, don't know abt muslims because i never came across them in my town

      the main aim of this type of functions is
      in olden days girls get married in early ages around 16 to 18, people think that if they do this type of functions , the surrounding people knows that this girl is ready for marriage and they will tell about good matches if they come across

      now a days this practice is not find in Urban areas

      even you may wonder if i tell all the new baby functions( in Andhra Pradesh) we celebrate
      During pregnancy we do two functions once in 5th month and in 9th month

      when a new baby born we do a function on 11th day
      2) Naming Ceremony
      3) Function when a baby turns around
      4) Annaprasanam ( Giving solid food for the first time )
      5) Function when baby starts crawling
      6) vidyabhyasam ( before the baby goes to school )

      there are many other functions which i too don't know

      generally i never come to this religious forum because i believe i don't know anything about any religion

    13. #13
      Banned
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 15, 2004
      Posts
      2,333
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Lahore 981
      It serves the purpose to announce this girl is available to hook up with. Otherwse, logically, there is no reason to announce in this manner who has reached puberty.
      I think he is right. It is another way of discriminating women.

      It is good that the constitution of India and the majority of Indians do not agree that a kid is ready for marriage since it achieves puberty.

    14. #14
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      lakkis25's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16, 2006
      Location
      bool Gaya
      Posts
      3,713
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by anjjan
      I think he is right. It is another way of discriminating women.

      It is good that the constitution of India and the majority of Indians do not agree that a kid is ready for marriage since it achieves puberty.
      there is nothing discrimination for women by doing this functions ,
      even well educated people will do this , this is just type a tradition, and tamils are more tradinationals then any other ethinic people
      you know as per indian govt the age for marriage is 18 for a girl and 21 for a boy
      tamil womens are very active in all the fields , it tells you that there is no dicrimination for women by doing just this kind of functions

    15. #15
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      Lahore 981's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20, 2005
      Location
      Aap key dil main, Damagh main
      Posts
      2,064
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by lakkis25
      there is nothing discrimination for women by doing this functions ,
      even well educated people will do this , this is just type a tradition, and tamils are more tradinationals then any other ethinic people
      you know as per indian govt the age for marriage is 18 for a girl and 21 for a boy
      tamil womens are very active in all the fields , it tells you that there is no dicrimination for women by doing just this kind of functions
      You did not understand anjjan's purpose of writting that.
      He tried to present it in a nice way with an implied insult not to the women of India but to someting else. He knows that.
      A SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP (ANY), REQUIRES FALLING IN LOVE MANY TIMES WITH THE SAME PERSON

    16. #16
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      FrozenFire's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19, 2004
      Location
      Toronto,Canada
      Posts
      4,256
      Blogs
      3
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by anjjan
      I think he is right. It is another way of discriminating women.

      It is good that the constitution of India and the majority of Indians do not agree that a kid is ready for marriage since it achieves puberty.
      and who told u that all the Pakistanis agree that a kid is ready to get married since he achieves puberty..?
      Patta patta boota boota haal hamaara jaane hai
      Jaane na jaane gul he na jaane, baagh to saara jaane hai

    17. #17
      Banned
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 15, 2004
      Posts
      2,333
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFire
      and who told u that all the Pakistanis agree that a kid is ready to get married since he achieves puberty..?
      And where do you find the word 'Pakistanis' in my post??? Any complexes!!?

    18. #18
      Banned
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 15, 2004
      Posts
      2,333
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Lahore 981
      You did not understand anjjan's purpose of writting that.
      He tried to present it in a nice way with an implied insult not to the women of India but to someting else. He knows that.
      What do you mean by the word 'insult' to something else. It is already an insult to women by celeberating such festivs.

      May be you have some other complexes!! Pls explore!

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast