• Accomplished
  • Aggravated
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Anxious
  • Apathetic
  • Artistic
  • Awake
  • Bitchy
  • Blah
  • Blank
  • Bored
  • Bouncy
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Cheerful
  • Chipper
  • Cold
  • Complacent
  • Confused
  • Contemplative
  • Content
  • Cranky
  • Crappy
  • Crazy
  • Creative
  • Crushed
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Depressed
  • Determined
  • Devious
  • Dirty
  • Disappointed
  • Discontent
  • Disgusted
  • Distressed
  • Ditzy
  • Dorky
  • Drained
  • Drunk
  • Ecstatic
  • Embarrassed
  • Energetic
  • Enraged
  • Enthralled
  • Envious
  • Exanimate
  • Excited
  • Exhausted
  • Flirty
  • Frustrated
  • Full
  • Geeky
  • Giddy
  • Giggly
  • Gloomy
  • Good
  • Grateful
  • Groggy
  • Grumpy
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • High
  • Hopeful
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungry
  • Hyper
  • Impressed
  • Indescribable
  • Indifferent
  • Infuriated
  • Intimidated
  • Irate
  • Irritated
  • Jealous
  • Jubilant
  • Lazy
  • Lethargic
  • Listless
  • Lonely
  • Loved
  • Melancholy
  • Mellow
  • Mischievous
  • Moody
  • Morose
  • Naughty
  • Nauseated
  • Nerdy
  • Nervous
  • Nostalgic
  • Numb
  • Okay
  • Optimistic
  • Pakistan
  • Peaceful
  • Pensive
  • Pessimistic
  • Pissedoff
  • Pleased
  • Predatory
  • Productive
  • Quixotic
  • Recumbent
  • Refreshed
  • Rejected
  • Rejuvenated
  • Relaxed
  • Relieved
  • Restless
  • Rushed
  • Sad
  • Satisfied
  • Scared
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Sleepy
  • Sore
  • Stressed
  • Surprised
  • Sympathetic
  • Thankful
  • Thirsty
  • Thoughtful
  • Tired
  • Touched
  • Uncomfortable
  • Weird
  • Working
  • Worried
  • User Tag List

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 18 of 40
    1. #1
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 10, 2006
      Posts
      6,739
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I see girls/aunties all around me praying at Jummah, reciting at Quran khaanis with those long, fake nails on a regular basis. One of the girls even started an argument with the Imam at our Mosque saying nailpolish/fake nails don't make the wudu invalid. While some continue to pray with such ignorance, there are many who get the nails done and do not even bother about praying.

      Why has it become so easy for us to miss our namaz and not even feel bad about it? Why is it so convenient for girls to adjust Islam and it's teachings according to what suits their daily lives?

    2. #2
      Senior Socialite
      ----
       

      Niksik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23, 2007
      Location
      At home
      Posts
      32,005
      Blogs
      2
      Mentioned
      55 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      You are right Shay. This is happening and much more. Yes, this lady told me that I should not waste my youth (jawaani) by being bland and do everything. Allah will forgive me. It's OK to put nailpolish and do namaaz as long as my niyah was OK. I told her it's OK, that I'm not feeling bad or missing out on life but she insisted that I was ageing prematurely! I wish people didn't spend all their energy in justifying it also.
      Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

    3. #3
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)


      Just to play the devils advocate here:

      Why can't we pray with nailpolish yet we are supposed to look good and dressed up for other prayers such as Jumah or Eid. Use perfumes?

    4. #4
      Senior Socialite
      ----
       

      Niksik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23, 2007
      Location
      At home
      Posts
      32,005
      Blogs
      2
      Mentioned
      55 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Nailpolish makes Wudhoo Makrooh or invalid. It's OK to wear henna on nails.
      You can put nailpolish on after Wudhoo...but let's say yu have to do Wudhoo again right away for some reason then you have to take it off!
      Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

    5. #5
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      tweety_pie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17, 2007
      Posts
      1,064
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Well ive always hrd that as if u r wearing nail varnish ure wuzoo isn't valid since the varnish is covering ure nail and u havent washed the nails therfore. As long as you do wuzoo and then apply varnish and read namaz i think thats fine, but u wud have to remove the varnish before the next namaz unless u still have ure wuzoo
      Last edited by tweety_pie; Apr 8th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

    6. #6
      Darbaan
      Annoyed
       

      Mirch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8, 2008
      Location
      Chand meri zameen , Phool meera watan
      Posts
      22,183
      Blogs
      14
      Mentioned
      77 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      If you go back to basics. Quran specifies how to perform wudu and that process is very logical and easy. Quran does not levy any kind of restrictions and conditions for wudu , like clean or cut nail , no nail polish, no acrylic nails.
      If Allah(swt) wanted to he could give us a Quran composed of various volumes each volume dedicated to rules applicable to various aspects of life. He(SWT) did not , why ? He knows how much we human can handle.
      The later generations in their zeal to be pious came up with volumes and volumes of Ahadess specific to various purposes and occasion and insist that if you do not follow them you get out of the fold of Islam.
      It is based on hadees that we have made the process of making wudu complicated and have come up with lots of pre-conditions.
      Those women who keep a balance between their love for Dunia and Love for Allah(SWT) are commendable we should not be judging them on their wearing nail polish or long nails.
      Personally I question the authenticity of ahadees from saha sitta and examine them using common logic , Quranic logic , Ahkam a Quran, other ahadees, and wisdom Allah(SWT) has granted me.
      Fools never disagree.

    7. #7
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirch View Post
      If you go back to basics. Quran specifies how to perform wudu and that process is very logical and easy. Quran does not levy any kind of restrictions and conditions for wudu , like clean or cut nail , no nail polish, no acrylic nails.
      If Allah(swt) wanted to he could give us a Quran composed of various volumes each volume dedicated to rules applicable to various aspects of life. He(SWT) did not , why ? He knows how much we human can handle.
      The later generations in their zeal to be pious came up with volumes and volumes of Ahadess specific to various purposes and occasion and insist that if you do not follow them you get out of the fold of Islam.
      It is based on hadees that we have made the process of making wudu complicated and have come up with lots of pre-conditions.
      Those women who keep a balance between their love for Dunia and Love for Allah(SWT) are commendable we should not be judging them on their wearing nail polish or long nails.
      Personally I question the authenticity of ahadees from saha sitta and examine them using common logic , Quranic logic , Ahkam a Quran, other ahadees, and wisdom Allah(SWT) has granted me.


      Bro, I think you are alluding to the same thing I am trying to get at by questioning the reasons against the principles to be kept intact.

    8. #8
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Niksik View Post
      Nailpolish makes Wudhoo Makrooh or invalid. It's OK to wear henna on nails.
      You can put nailpolish on after Wudhoo...but let's say yu have to do Wudhoo again right away for some reason then you have to take it off!
      Why does it make it makrooh? Is nail polish regarded as filth or najas. If it were then it should not be on at anytime. The argument that water has to touch the bare skin and nails is no argument, as the reason we use water is to wash ourselves of any najasat and ofcourse the intention and action of Wudu being a worship to Allah SWT.

    9. #9
      Darbaan
      Annoyed
       

      Mirch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8, 2008
      Location
      Chand meri zameen , Phool meera watan
      Posts
      22,183
      Blogs
      14
      Mentioned
      77 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by USResident View Post


      Bro, I think you are alluding to the same thing I am trying to get at by questioning the reasons against the principles to be kept intact.
      The reason is simple which has been ingrained in our minds from the childhood with the help of ahadees on these kind of subjects.
      We are not supposed to question the Ahadees, just take them as they are from books of sahih ahadees. As the argument goes people spent their lives examining and collecting these ahadees therefore there is no doubt in their authenticity. You will soon see some one quoting ahadees on the subject from some book of Sahih Ahadees.
      Fools never disagree.

    10. #10
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirch View Post
      The reason is simple which has been ingrained in our minds from the childhood with the help of ahadees on these kind of subjects.
      We are not supposed to question the Ahadees, just take them as they are from books of sahih ahadees. As the argument goes people spent their lives examining and collecting these ahadees therefore there is no doubt in their authenticity. You will soon see some one quoting ahadees on the subject from some book of Sahih Ahadees.
      Bro you are now treading in the red zone of being labeled a Munkir Ahadith .... I think you think similar to me. I do not put ahadith and Quran on par. Especially ones concerning trivial matters such as this nail polish type of issues.

    11. #11
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 10, 2006
      Posts
      6,739
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      To answer your question USResident, only nail polish is not going to make you look 'presentable' at Jummah, Eid, etc. You need to shower, wear clean clothes, comb your hair, etc which are far more important than putting on perfume or wearing any cosmetics. Looking good doesn't necessarily mean loading up on makeup, perfume and other such things.

      As for Mirch, I really like this article that explains why nail polish makes your wudu invalid.

      http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=7907&CATE=102

      http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=1483&CATE=3

    12. #12
      Senior Socialite
      ----
       

      Niksik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23, 2007
      Location
      At home
      Posts
      32,005
      Blogs
      2
      Mentioned
      55 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by USResident View Post
      Why does it make it makrooh? Is nail polish regarded as filth or najas. If it were then it should not be on at anytime. The argument that water has to touch the bare skin and nails is no argument, as the reason we use water is to wash ourselves of any najasat and ofcourse the intention and action of Wudu being a worship to Allah SWT.
      I think the reason is that nailpolish creates a coating over the nail thereby limiting the water to cleanse the nails. It is OK to wear nailpolish once the Wudhoo has been completed.

      I think that what SHay and I were saying was not that women should not wear nailpolish or grow their nails long, but the fact that they argue about what is accurate in an effort to justify themselves.

      Here is another example: Hijab or scarf for women is clearly mentioned in the Quran. I don't wear it and the other day my daughter asked me why I didn't cover my head being a muslim woman. I could say, oh it's OK, it is up to us to choose it, there is no requirement, whetever. But I told her the fact that pray to Allah to bring that level of Iman in your mom so she feels comfortable wearing hijab.

      I am no-one to judge who is a better muslim or what not or that one who wears nailpolish is comitting a sin or one who doesn't cover their head is doing something terrible. It's up to Allah to judge us all.
      Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

    13. #13
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by shay9164 View Post
      To answer your question USResident, only nail polish is not going to make you look 'presentable' at Jummah, Eid, etc. You need to shower, wear clean clothes, comb your hair, etc which are far more important than putting on perfume or wearing any cosmetics. Looking good doesn't necessarily mean loading up on makeup, perfume and other such things.

      As for Mirch, I really like this article that explains why nail polish makes your wudu invalid.

      http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=7907&CATE=102

      http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=1483&CATE=3
      Sis, nail polish is but one aspect of looking good. This is precisely what I question, you jusyt read a link and it becomes your Iman. We should know our principles good enough to weigh any opinion against it. To understand the principles, it needs thought and time with your thoughts.

    14. #14
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Niksik View Post
      I think the reason is that nailpolish creates a coating over the nail thereby limiting the water to cleanse the nails. It is OK to wear nailpolish once the Wudhoo has been completed.

      I think that what SHay and I were saying was not that women should not wear nailpolish or grow their nails long, but the fact that they argue about what is accurate in an effort to justify themselves.

      Here is another example: Hijab or scarf for women is clearly mentioned in the Quran. I don't wear it and the other day my daughter asked me why I didn't cover my head being a muslim woman. I could say, oh it's OK, it is up to us to choose it, there is no requirement, whetever. But I told her the fact that pray to Allah to bring that level of Iman in your mom so she feels comfortable wearing hijab.

      I am no-one to judge who is a better muslim or what not or that one who wears nailpolish is comitting a sin or one who doesn't cover their head is doing something terrible. It's up to Allah to judge us all.
      Sis, if you read your first paragraph carefully, you are saying it coats the nail and prevents water from cleansing it. If it is already coated with something that is not najas then what is the water supposed to cleanse. The nail is not dirty to begin with if it is coated with something that is already keeping it from contact with other things. Its much similar to the masala of doing masah over khufuf. IMHO if you put nail polish after wudu then the nails are still clean under the nail polish.

      Yes, I agree women argue to prove themselves and so do men. They only argue when they lack the principle understanding on an issue and have little to no choice to cling to what they have been iterated as correct.

      It was good of you to guide your daughter towards the truth.

    15. #15
      Senior Socialite
      ----
       

      Niksik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23, 2007
      Location
      At home
      Posts
      32,005
      Blogs
      2
      Mentioned
      55 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by USResident View Post
      Sis, if you read your first paragraph carefully, you are saying it coats the nail and prevents water from cleansing it. If it is already coated with something that is not najas then what is the water supposed to cleanse. The nail is not dirty to begin with if it is coated with something that is already keeping it from contact with other things. Its much similar to the masala of doing masah over khufuf. IMHO if you put nail polish after wudu then the nails are still clean under the nail polish.

      Yes, I agree women argue to prove themselves and so do men. They only argue when they lack the principle understanding on an issue and have little to no choice to cling to what they have been iterated as correct.

      It was good of you to guide your daughter towards the truth.
      It is necessary for the water to touch the nails every time we do Wudhoo. So if it doesn't bother me to take the nailpolish off and put it back on every time I do Wudhoo, then I guess I'm OK.
      Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

    16. #16
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      USResident's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31, 2005
      Posts
      3,142
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Niksik View Post
      It is necessary for the water to touch the nails every time we do Wudhoo. So if it doesn't bother me to take the nailpolish off and put it back on every time I do Wudhoo, then I guess I'm OK.
      You can do whatever you can manage. No stoppping from that. Adios Sis.

    17. #17
      Senior Member
      Predatory
       

      zobia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12, 2006
      Posts
      21,071
      Blogs
      23
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      real question is how come people get time to nail polish everyday?

      ps. i know people say its haram and i guess cuz of the presence of spirt, but then they (also also males) wear perfume when they go to the mosque, no?
      "There are two rules for ultimate success in life: #1. Never tell everything you know." ;)

    18. #18
      Senior Socialite
      ----
       

      Niksik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23, 2007
      Location
      At home
      Posts
      32,005
      Blogs
      2
      Mentioned
      55 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Well we do get a break every month Zobs, so I say, we can go all out that time!!!!

      Meanwhile, I guess some people like to do that so much that they find time for it! Like I find time to straighten my hair!
      Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast