• Accomplished
  • Aggravated
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Anxious
  • Apathetic
  • Artistic
  • Awake
  • Bitchy
  • Blah
  • Blank
  • Bored
  • Bouncy
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Cheerful
  • Chipper
  • Cold
  • Complacent
  • Confused
  • Contemplative
  • Content
  • Cranky
  • Crappy
  • Crazy
  • Creative
  • Crushed
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Depressed
  • Determined
  • Devious
  • Dirty
  • Disappointed
  • Discontent
  • Disgusted
  • Distressed
  • Ditzy
  • Dorky
  • Drained
  • Drunk
  • Ecstatic
  • Embarrassed
  • Energetic
  • Enraged
  • Enthralled
  • Envious
  • Exanimate
  • Excited
  • Exhausted
  • Flirty
  • Frustrated
  • Full
  • Geeky
  • Giddy
  • Giggly
  • Gloomy
  • Good
  • Grateful
  • Groggy
  • Grumpy
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • High
  • Hopeful
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungry
  • Hyper
  • Impressed
  • Indescribable
  • Indifferent
  • Infuriated
  • Intimidated
  • Irate
  • Irritated
  • Jealous
  • Jubilant
  • Lazy
  • Lethargic
  • Listless
  • Lonely
  • Loved
  • Melancholy
  • Mellow
  • Mischievous
  • Moody
  • Morose
  • Naughty
  • Nauseated
  • Nerdy
  • Nervous
  • Nostalgic
  • Numb
  • Okay
  • Optimistic
  • Pakistan
  • Peaceful
  • Pensive
  • Pessimistic
  • Pissedoff
  • Pleased
  • Predatory
  • Productive
  • Quixotic
  • Recumbent
  • Refreshed
  • Rejected
  • Rejuvenated
  • Relaxed
  • Relieved
  • Restless
  • Rushed
  • Sad
  • Satisfied
  • Scared
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Sleepy
  • Sore
  • Stressed
  • Surprised
  • Sympathetic
  • Thankful
  • Thirsty
  • Thoughtful
  • Tired
  • Touched
  • Uncomfortable
  • Weird
  • Working
  • Worried
  • User Tag List

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 18 of 24
    1. #1
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Dear New Brides and Brides-to-be (and anyone who knows about this),

      I am starting to think about the costs of weddings in North America (more specifically Toronto). Could you tell me about the kind of events you had and how much you ended up paying for them or are paying for them? Both the total cost and the breakdowns (if that's not too tedious).

      If that's too personal for you, I am ok with averages too. I just want to get an idea of how expensive things are and where the costs can be cut.

      Thanks!

    2. #2
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      Monk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7, 2006
      Location
      monkVille
      Posts
      19,854
      Blogs
      1
      Mentioned
      21 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Yeah, I worked out the figures then I decided its better not to get married.
      You do the same.
      ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_""And [by] the even [number] and the odd"(al-Quran)

    3. #3
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      somegroovychick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9, 2007
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      11,783
      Blogs
      252
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^ lol

      the average wedding in canada is between $25000-$30,000. i think this applies primarily to one-event, gora weddings. i would imagine desi weddings with multiple events and many more guests would be more expensive.
      Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
      - Nehru

    4. #4
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      WHYY!! WHYY!! WHYY!!?!!

      URGHH!! Who has that kind of money? I don't want to ask my parents for money and urgghh, I don't have that much money.

    5. #5
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
      Yeah, I worked out the figures then I decided its better not to get married.
      You do the same.
      I may just have to.

    6. #6
      Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 5, 2010
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      144
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      You can definately do a wedding for under $20 and under $15 & perhaps even $10 (depending on the amount of guests). It totally depends on your choice of vendors. Having a wedding on a Sunday, or an odd day can save you quite a bit of money. Also, you can cut a lot of decor/stationary cost if you choose to do a lot of do-it-yourself projects
      Bulk of the cost goes in the venue, food, photography, & decor
      Noor Artistry

    7. #7
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      True that. But like most other girls, I'd like a nice enough wedding.

      What are the breakdowns for venue, food, photography, decor and bridal dresses (shadi and valeema)?

    8. #8
      Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 5, 2010
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      144
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Curious Lady View Post
      True that. But like most other girls, I'd like a nice enough wedding.

      What are the breakdowns for venue, food, photography, decor and bridal dresses (shadi and valeema)?
      Curious Lady, if you are having 2 days - the cost will be alot more! You can do a really nice wedding (one event) for around 15gs

      Breakdowns:
      The quotes you get from desi halls will include food, hall, servers, table/chair+covers prices in them: you;re looking at anywhere between 25-50 per person

      Non desi halls are a little more complicated ...and can be a little more pricey as you would be bringing in outside catering (if you want halal desi food).

      Decor can cost a lot of money as well: Mehndi decors start at $500 I think, while reception decors can cost upto 5000..I've heard of people spending 10,000 on decor (includes stage, cake table, sweet table, chairs, centre pieces, and who knows what else)
      Avg price would be $1500-2500 I think- but again, it depends on how elaborate your stage/cake table/centrepieces are

      Photography: Anywhere between $1500-3500. Some charge upto $6000...Obviously if a photographer is popular...they will charge more. Try to look for somewhat new photographers & you will be able to find a good one for 1500 or so
      There are many out there who are excellent - you just have to search a little harder!

      A really good bridal dress from here would cost around $2000 -2200. From back home, you're looking at half that price.

      I hope that helped!
      Noor Artistry

    9. #9
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      somegroovychick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9, 2007
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      11,783
      Blogs
      252
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^ good breakdown!

      the best way of cutting costs, and i keep saying this to all the brides i run into, is controlling your guest list. people cost money. its as simple as that. you can have a beautiful wedding for $15-20,000 with fewer guests. don't invite 400 people, have a 100 people.

      have a budget. if you know your budget is limited, then work backwards from it. i have never understood how brides can go into planning this huge, and very expensive day, with no budget! so many times its oh i'll spend what i spend or i'll spend when i know how much it is and then they go to the expensive vendors, find something they love, get it, and then there's all this stress about too much money being spent blah blah blah. so have a budget. figure out what your maximum spend is. then divide it up and spend the allotted amounts only. its not difficult- it takes discipline, creativity and the willingness to do your research and find vendors who will work within your budget.

      seasonally, winter weddings are cheaper and vendors during the winter also have lower rates. if you want a summer wedding, you'll be paying premium prices. april to october is considered high season for weddings so get married anytime between november and march. have a beautiful winter wedding themed indoor reception.

      also lastly, i think a certain amount of DIY is fine, but i wouldn't consider you doing your own stage and all of your dιcor by yourself. family and friends are well-meaning but often will not give it as much attention as you would yourself, and its a lot of work. so be clear about what your priorities are and what you are ok with farming out to family and what should go to professionals.
      Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
      - Nehru

    10. #10
      Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 5, 2010
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      144
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by somegroovychick View Post
      ^ good breakdown!

      the best way of cutting costs, and i keep saying this to all the brides i run into, is controlling your guest list. people cost money. its as simple as that. you can have a beautiful wedding for $15-20,000 with fewer guests. don't invite 400 people, have a 100 people.

      have a budget. if you know your budget is limited, then work backwards from it. i have never understood how brides can go into planning this huge, and very expensive day, with no budget! so many times its oh i'll spend what i spend or i'll spend when i know how much it is and then they go to the expensive vendors, find something they love, get it, and then there's all this stress about too much money being spent blah blah blah. so have a budget. figure out what your maximum spend is. then divide it up and spend the allotted amounts only. its not difficult- it takes discipline, creativity and the willingness to do your research and find vendors who will work within your budget.

      seasonally, winter weddings are cheaper and vendors during the winter also have lower rates. if you want a summer wedding, you'll be paying premium prices. april to october is considered high season for weddings so get married anytime between november and march. have a beautiful winter wedding themed indoor reception.

      also lastly, i think a certain amount of DIY is fine, but i wouldn't consider you doing your own stage and all of your dιcor by yourself. family and friends are well-meaning but often will not give it as much attention as you would yourself, and its a lot of work. so be clear about what your priorities are and what you are ok with farming out to family and what should go to professionals.

      Agreed - SGC, you will make a great wedding planner
      Noor Artistry

    11. #11
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by noorartistry View Post
      Curious Lady, if you are having 2 days - the cost will be alot more! You can do a really nice wedding (one event) for around 15gs

      Breakdowns:
      The quotes you get from desi halls will include food, hall, servers, table/chair+covers prices in them: you;re looking at anywhere between 25-50 per person

      Non desi halls are a little more complicated ...and can be a little more pricey as you would be bringing in outside catering (if you want halal desi food).

      Decor can cost a lot of money as well: Mehndi decors start at $500 I think, while reception decors can cost upto 5000..I've heard of people spending 10,000 on decor (includes stage, cake table, sweet table, chairs, centre pieces, and who knows what else)
      Avg price would be $1500-2500 I think- but again, it depends on how elaborate your stage/cake table/centrepieces are

      Photography: Anywhere between $1500-3500. Some charge upto $6000...Obviously if a photographer is popular...they will charge more. Try to look for somewhat new photographers & you will be able to find a good one for 1500 or so
      There are many out there who are excellent - you just have to search a little harder!

      A really good bridal dress from here would cost around $2000 -2200. From back home, you're looking at half that price.

      I hope that helped!
      That is quite helpful. Thanks, noorartistry.

      So, with at least two events, the costs can hike upto $30k? I have been thinking about having just one big reception at some venue and mehendi and rukhsati and stuff in a more intimate setting; like parents' backyard. Actually "rukhsaty-ing" from parents place would mean so much more. But part of me would also like a proper walk-down-an-aisle rukhsati.

      Also, do you know if you go ahead with a non-desi venue and don't get food catered (I am vegetarian - and who knows I might be able to convince SO for a meatless wedding), what are the costs like? Do they still end up being more expensive than desi? And what makes them complicated?

      My dresses are coming from pak then! But there ARE added costs of flying there and back.

    12. #12
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by somegroovychick View Post
      ^ good breakdown!

      the best way of cutting costs, and i keep saying this to all the brides i run into, is controlling your guest list. people cost money. its as simple as that. you can have a beautiful wedding for $15-20,000 with fewer guests. don't invite 400 people, have a 100 people.

      have a budget. if you know your budget is limited, then work backwards from it. i have never understood how brides can go into planning this huge, and very expensive day, with no budget! so many times its oh i'll spend what i spend or i'll spend when i know how much it is and then they go to the expensive vendors, find something they love, get it, and then there's all this stress about too much money being spent blah blah blah. so have a budget. figure out what your maximum spend is. then divide it up and spend the allotted amounts only. its not difficult- it takes discipline, creativity and the willingness to do your research and find vendors who will work within your budget.

      seasonally, winter weddings are cheaper and vendors during the winter also have lower rates. if you want a summer wedding, you'll be paying premium prices. april to october is considered high season for weddings so get married anytime between november and march. have a beautiful winter wedding themed indoor reception.

      also lastly, i think a certain amount of DIY is fine, but i wouldn't consider you doing your own stage and all of your dιcor by yourself. family and friends are well-meaning but often will not give it as much attention as you would yourself, and its a lot of work. so be clear about what your priorities are and what you are ok with farming out to family and what should go to professionals.
      Thanks, somegroovychic, some good advice there.

      I came across another bit of advice somewhere that the couple should figure out what their priorities are, in terms of where the money should go and where the costs can be cut. Dresses, decor, venue, photography etc.

      I have come to believe in GOOD photography. That's the only thing left of your wedding after 10 years.

    13. #13
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      somegroovychick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9, 2007
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      11,783
      Blogs
      252
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^ i couldn't agree more with your photography priorities!

      the best breakdown of costs i've found is via martha stewart: i used this for all the weddings i've planned including my own. i find it helps to include your wedding day attire and jewellery in your budget too- that way, when you're in pakistan and faced with 10,000 choices, you'll at least have some idea of where to start
      Before you plan your wedding, know how much you can spend and what you want to spend it on. As a general guideline, allot approximately 50 percent of your budget to the reception (location, food, and beverages). Then allot about 10 percent each to flowers, photography, attire, and music. The final 10 percent goes to stationery, favors, and other details.

      to download the PDF, click here: www.weddingsquare.com/books/wedding_workbook.pdf
      Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
      - Nehru

    14. #14
      Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Apr 5, 2010
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      144
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Curious Lady View Post
      That is quite helpful. Thanks, noorartistry.

      So, with at least two events, the costs can hike upto $30k? I have been thinking about having just one big reception at some venue and mehendi and rukhsati and stuff in a more intimate setting; like parents' backyard. Actually "rukhsaty-ing" from parents place would mean so much more. But part of me would also like a proper walk-down-an-aisle rukhsati.

      Also, do you know if you go ahead with a non-desi venue and don't get food catered (I am vegetarian - and who knows I might be able to convince SO for a meatless wedding), what are the costs like? Do they still end up being more expensive than desi? And what makes them complicated?

      My dresses are coming from pak then! But there ARE added costs of flying there and back.
      I just love the idea of a backyard mehndi/rukhsati/wedding! If you can do it...definately go for it! & you can spend less hesitantly on the 'one big' day

      Hmm, cheapest non-desi lunch receptions would probably be $40ish
      & dinner reception perhaps $60ish - & even these prices will not be easy to find. I imagine a veggie menu will be less expensive. But unless most your guests are vegetarian, I would not advise you take that route. Just remember, having great food is extremely important because food is what the guests will remember/talk about the MOST

      When you get quotes from western venues...they will send you a standard quote with their standard menu (which includes liquor). Most all inclusive western venues charge around 100..to 120..and some 140 per person. You will have to ask the coordinator to give you a quote with only a soft bar.
      If you want to bring in outside catering..non desi halls will not provide servers sometimes, & some don't even provide cutlery. Some provide everything BUT the food itself (which is great..). Some will allow you to bring outside catering for an ADDITIONAL charge of about $25-30 per person on top of the venue rental (total rip off).
      Non desi halls usually have additional costs attached to them: SOCAN fee, gratuities, charge after certain amount of time, etc

      BUT ofcourse, not all venues are like that. It's just that desi halls are A LOT cheaper...& when we look at non-desi halls, they seem a lot more expensive.

      Some non-desi venues do offer South Asian menus...& some can even do a halal menu. However, at the end of the day...a non-desi venue will still cost you more money than a desi venue.
      Noor Artistry

    15. #15
      Senior Member
      ----
       


      Join Date
      Feb 27, 2010
      Posts
      700
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^Thanks for that info about non-desi venues.

      As for meat is concerned, I am a passionate vegetarian. The only reason I would budge is if SO wants it - and that's only because it would be his wedding too. I don't push people to become vegetarians, but at the same time, I would want my wedding to be in accordance with what I believe in.

      I don't know how it goes when food is catered, but I find vegetarian food to be more expensive sometimes; under the disguise of "healthy". We'll see.

      somegroovychic: Thanks for posting that pdf. I have saved it. I find that breakdown interesting.

      50%: location + food
      10%: flowers
      10%: photography
      10%: attire
      10%: music
      10%: stationary (being decor?)

      Do flowers actually cost about 10% of the total cost? That sounds like a little too much. And it seems like photography would cost more. Have you found yourself following that breakdown closely? Is it realistic?

    16. #16
      Senior Member
      ----
       

      somegroovychick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9, 2007
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      11,783
      Blogs
      252
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      ^ stationery = wedding invitations and other printed pieces for your day(s).

      this breakdown is a guide to help you get started and stay within budget overall. if you find that 10% overall is too much for flowers and decor (which i would group together, fyi), then you take some money out of that and put it into photography, for example. make the initial breakdown and then adjust according to your priorities.

      do this separately for each event you are planning on having. it will make it easier to account for things. put everything into an excel spreadsheet so you can keep track of deposits and upcoming payments.

      as for flowers specifically, it would really depend on your overall budget, how lavish you want things, how many guests you are expecting, etc.
      Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
      - Nehru

    17. #17
      Banned
      ----
       

      Afshi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21, 2004
      Location
      GTA
      Posts
      4,147
      Blogs
      617
      Mentioned
      11 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      you can also save some money buy doing stuff in pakistan..for example, printing the invitations in pakistan...waay cheaper than here. Also our outfit (s)...possibly even save hundreds of dollars there as well.

      i agree with SCG and Noor A....more people, more money and more problems. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my wedding, so I had my mehndi in my parents backyard and we rented a tent and catered the food. My cousin's neighbor did the backdrop and my sister assisted with the decor as well.

      And it helps if you "know" people and have connections...or even family and friends that have skills. My brother's friends did my wedding photos, and they turned out great.

      The trick is to have the wedding of UR dreams, not the wedding of everyone else's dream.

    18. #18
      Member
      ----
       

      shopaholic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 22, 2009
      Posts
      197
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Curious Lady View Post
      ^Thanks for that info about non-desi venues.

      As for meat is concerned, I am a passionate vegetarian. The only reason I would budge is if SO wants it - and that's only because it would be his wedding too. I don't push people to become vegetarians, but at the same time, I would want my wedding to be in accordance with what I believe in.

      I don't know how it goes when food is catered, but I find vegetarian food to be more expensive sometimes; under the disguise of "healthy". We'll see.

      somegroovychic: Thanks for posting that pdf. I have saved it. I find that breakdown interesting.

      50%: location + food
      10%: flowers
      10%: photography
      10%: attire
      10%: music
      10%: stationary (being decor?)

      Do flowers actually cost about 10% of the total cost? That sounds like a little too much. And it seems like photography would cost more. Have you found yourself following that breakdown closely? Is it realistic?
      you know what, you can probably have a really nice mehndi in a condo hall!
      if you know someone who owns or lives in a condo, you can get them to rent the hall for you (this should not cost you more than $200...
      i would rather have a mehndi in a hall like that unless you want to invite a lot of people to the mehndi and they wont be able to fit.
      Then lets say you do get it deorated ..you can spend about $500(or lesser) on the stage ..and you just need food and music...i believe it should not cost you more than $1000..or a lil more!

      And then you can have a nice big wedding in a good banquet hall like versalies or something (that should cost you about $20000 at least)...

      that way you are not havign two functions costing you $20000 to $30000 each!

      And you knwo what, nowadays a lot of people dont have walimas. Instead what they do is guy side and girl side shares the wedding day expense!
      and many do the same thing for the mehndi day too..So at the end of the day even though you are having a two day wedding..you will only be paying for one day (sicne you will share the mehndi and shadi day exp with the guys side) and at the same time you have an amazing wedding ...the way you want it !

      Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.

      Fashions fade, style is eternal.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast